Tuesday 26 May 2009

Music in Montrose

Tonight is folk club night here and it's a band I'm really looking forward to – Genticorum from Montreal. I've been listening to their 2005 CD 'Malins Plaisirs' for a while and it's such invigorating, exciting music...I can't wait! Their myspace is here (with tour dates and so on) but they're on at the Links Hotel in Montrose tonight at 8pm if you're nearby (I guess that rules a few of you out...). There'll be the usual 'locals bit' halfway through the night and I plan to read my newish dogs poem (first time off the leash in public) and the other one (about people) that was on myspace the other day. They're both fairly direct poems (on the surface at least) but I do read all kinds of different poems there to keep it interesting (for me and the audience). I read all kinds of styles, all kinds of subjects, some more direct, some even I don't know what they're about really, some that would probably get a tick/nod/'interesting' in a Creative Writing class (see last post)...and quite a few that wouldn't. It's not a poetry audience by any stretch – it's a real mixture of people (in terms of age, interest, experience...) and they often surprise me by liking (or responding most) to poems I think they might hate/find really dull. It's over 3 years now since I've been reading poems there regularly (and I wrote about the club a while back - here). I must admit I'm starting to wonder when I'll get the nickel banjo (or whatever reward contributors get for years of service in folk clubs) but there's a while to go yet I imagine. And yes, I know that's not the point...I'm only playing.

There's also a music festival on in Montrose this weekend (small town – much going on!). The festival website is here.

7 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Our Swaledale festival is also on at the moment Rachel - it seems to be the Festival Season.

Ken Armstrong said...

I'm a dog at heart so I woof your poem very much.

Break a leg at the reading... not cock, break - and have fun. :)

Titus said...

Good luck tonight!

deemikay said...

I saw the signs for the music fest this weekend! I meant to talk about it...

Rachel Fox said...

The Canadian band were great by the way. Really special sound.

Poems were OK too.

x

Anonymous said...

I wish I could come and hear you. I love poetry readings. I hope it goes really well!

Rachel Fox said...

Thanks Selma for those long-distance wishes! I'm only a very tiny part of the night when I read at folk club (which is good for me...the painful ego of the typical writer type person and all that...). Trying out new poems is always interesting though...the audience very rarely reacts as you think it might!
x