Saturday 13 November 2010

All roads lead to Karen's Bus




I thought I wasn't going to manage a Poetry Bus ticket this time. I've been writing quite a lot on the blog in the past week (all about the best side of pop music – starting with part one here and working right up to part five here) and I just thought enough was enough. I half thought I might post an old poem about making big decisions (that's here) but then in the end I took a couple of minutes to really read the prompt and think about it. Here's the prompt:

"Write about one of the following:
(1) a time you had to choose between two clearly divergent paths; (2) a time you were called to walk a  path you didn't choose for yourself; or (3) a time you refused to travel the path you were called to follow."

Suddenly number 3 made me remember a time (about 12 years ago) when I was working in a crappy job and someone told me to do something that I considered stupid/wasteful/wrong. It wasn't a huge matter of global significance or anything... but it was still one of those moments when you think 'this is a decision I can make – what will I choose? Who the hell am I after all? Do I stand up to be counted etc.' And so the ticket reads like this:


No

Do it they said
Just do it
No questions
Drop the attitude
You don't need
To know why
Just do it
The way we say
Do it quickly
Do it now

So I thought about it
Long and hard
And then I said

No


RF 2010


Maybe I should send it to a politician or two (Mr Clegg? Still time to step down, make a stand, be who you said you were...).



Other Bus travellers are here. Unless my records are wrong this is my 50th trip on the Poetry Bus! Can't quite believe that...

x

30 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Like the poem, like the sentiment behind it, like your views on Nick Clegg. Isn't it shameful that it now seems as though they changed their mind about student fees before the elec tion.

Rachel Fox said...

And politicians wonder why the public gets cynical...
x

Peter Goulding said...

At least you're not a girl who can't say no. Nice one.

hope said...

Yeah! Now if I could only make that speech myself at work right now.

"Santa" asked what I wanted for Christmas and he said I should quit this job...just as soon as I have another lined up. ;)

Kat Mortensen said...

I like this one. Typically when someone says, "drop the attitude" I dig my heels in and tell them to kiss my fanny, so I'm right behind you on this.

Kat

Rachel Fox said...

Thanks all. But Kat... if you said that here you might get some surprised faces (and unwelcome advances...). Language difference alert...
x

Sarah said...

I like it and the sentiment behind it. (and I wrote that without reading your first comment-in case you think I am an outrageous copier!) And also what the weaver of grass said about Nick Clegg!

Totalfeckineejit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Helen said...

The courage of your convictions ~ I like this!

Karen said...

Good for you, Rachel! In some ways, this prompt was inspired by a road I've recently had to travel - - one where I finally, like you, just said, "No!" It was the right decision, but it will have far-reaching consequences that I know will be difficult to live with. I should have done it long ago. (Too fresh to write about - although my last bus poem alluded to it "all my ghosts are friends/the things I should but do not say" -- Finally said them!!!

Bill said...

It gets worse. Clegg: "I should have been more careful... [about signing the pledge] at the time I thought I could do it"

Unless I've got my dates and times mixed up (and I don't think I have) then that was a breathtaking lie, even by politician standards.
The Guardian have now exposed how he didn't think he could do it. On the contrary, he knew he was going to ditch it:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/nov/12/lib-dems-tuition-fees-clegg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQFwxw57NBI

Jinksy said...

It's great to have the courage of your convictions!

Rachel Fox said...

Thanks people. Re the LibDems business in the UK... the Tories and the Labour Party must be laughing... how could the LibDems make such a mess (and take all the heat off everyone else!)?

Karen... I am so nosey/interested in people's stories... that I am now keen to know the rest of that road! Keep them hanging on, eh..?

x

Liz said...

Oh yes! The joys of saying 'No' especially when a 'Yes!' is expected. Love its brevity too.

Rachel Fox said...

Yes, for a person who talk all the legs off many donkeys I can be surprisingly brief in poems!
x

MuseSwings said...

Great gumption! A road usually not taken. We just do what we are told whether it makes sense or not.

Niamh B said...

This is great, and yknow I'm kinda jealous cos I know it's true - you really are that brave...
Fab poem

Rachel Fox said...

Brave or stupid! Who knows...
x

Enchanted Oak said...

The proper word, spoken in the proper place, moves mountains, Rachel!
Applause!

Karen said...

Believe me, it's a road I wish I didn't have to travel. Let's just say it involves a love-hate relationship with a boss whose wife works for me and wants what she wants when she wants it by golly, by gosh, by damn! I finally took a stand and the rest is yet to be seen. May be taking early retirement! :-)

Totalfeckineejit said...

Good for you! Good poem for us too!

The Bug said...

I've always driven my bosses crazy - if they can't give me a good reason for doing something & if I don't agree with the reason I might do it will ill grace, or I might not do it at all!

Karen - good for you! And scary I know...

Rachel Fox said...

Thanks all, for reading.
Karen - very brave! It feels good though to come out of the shadows...

x

Louise said...

I'm with you on this, we all agree too easily! At least I do at times!

Gwil W said...

Hello Rachel,
The poetry2010 project is finished. It all prints to 12 pages. You just click on my smiley yellow star to find it. Many thanks for your contribution,
best bardic wishes,
gwilym

Rachel Fox said...

Yes, Socks, I agree!

And PiR - lovely page of words. I espcially like Dominic's 'the Last Days' and Gordon's 'Diamond' and Joan's 'Heptonstall'.

x

Anonymous said...

sometimes we do.
brave,
powerful post.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to our potluck week 10, a poetry award is assigned upon submission.
Old poems are welcome …hurry up, you have 12 hours to go before we are closed.
Hope to see you there. Cheers!
http://jinglepoetry.blogspot.com/2010/11/poetry-potluck-moods-feelings-and.html

Rachel Fox said...

Thanks for your comments.

Titus said...

I like it, and I can hear it.
It's 'Drop the attitude' as the fourth line that's so telling for me.

50!?