Saturday 29 January 2011

Wandering away...


Photo taken 01.01.00, Nottinghamshire, England.


So much going on right now... just days till we go and my head has been up and down and all around. I think I am winning the battle for calm in my head though (the war against terror indeed!). Well, sometimes. In an attempt to capture sanity I've been enjoying the clips below courtesy of other people's postings on facebook and blogs. They both feature Tom Waits showing how to really read poems aloud (poems by Charles Bukowski). Even if you've seen them before... maybe watch them again... and most of all listen (the sound! The sound!). I know some people (Colin McGuire...) have been Bukowski fans for ages but it was really only the Waits touch and sound that brought me in to these poems, that sat me down and said 'these are good, these will be good to you'. And they are.








Also we watched the movie 'Into the Wild' (2007, dir. Sean Penn) this week (highly recommended... had forgotten how much I love William Hurt for a start). The movie features a brilliant poem by Sharon Olds (text here) – it's called 'I Go Back to May 1937' (and I had read it before but, unlike Mr Penn, I had forgotten it). The clip with the poem is here - can't embed it, sorry). I like it when movies use poems well and this one really does (and who would have guessed that that young yob Sean Penn would turn into such a real star?). Great music from Eddie Vedder in the film too.


And finally... a mini poem from me for this week's Poetry Bus (task over at NanU's). I did write this over a few days (there was a Thursday but it was so bloody whingey that I'm afraid I just couldn't stand the sight of it and out it went!). Here's what's left.


Outside, outside


on Wednesday
a week stretches out like a tired old inner tube
by Friday
a walk in cold, fresh air can work wonders



RF 2011


So, that's me. As of this coming Wednesday I'll see you on the other side.... here!


x

26 comments:

The Solitary Walker said...

Gosh, what an adventure!

Rachel Fox said...

I know. We haven't even left yet and I'm worn out already...
x

Niamh B said...

happy travels!!!! it'll be great
xx

hope said...

I know you'll have so much fun...think of your feet on the ground across the pond, not the trip to and fro. ;)

Rachel Fox said...

We've had so many farewell meals already - I may need an extra seat...

And you're right, Hope, positive attitudes at the ready and set for boarding!

x

NanU said...

Short and sweet, Rachel!
Happy trails to you.

Rachel Fox said...

Thanks!
x

Louise said...

good luck on your trip

susan sonnen said...

I love the simplicity of your poem! And the absence of Thursday speaks volumes.

Rachel Fox said...

Thanks Socks.

Yes, Thursday was a bit of a low point, Susan, but it's up, up, up and away now...

x

McGuire said...

Hello Rachel, nice to see you reading some Bukowski, or listeing to it. Good stuff. Read his poetry. You will find much gold for the spirit to spend on.

McGuire.

But, MaGuire, is just as good.

McGuire means dun coloured. How unfortunate.

Keep being
x

Rachel Fox said...

Oh heck - sorry about that! I would usually check... but been a bit distracted. Still - no excuses - I'll change it!
x

Rachel Fenton said...

Told myself I would scroll and read the poem at the end....here I am half an hour later still pondering.


Lovely bit of self editing there - fab wee poem you've left yourself.

Rachel Fox said...

Just think geographically I'll be closer to you when we're away, other Rachel. Glad you like the wee, wee poem. I seem to be a phase of writing about walking.
x

Rachel Fenton said...

I'll be closer to home then!

Titus said...

Coincidence city! I bought Bukowski's collected poems with my Christmas present book token, the spur being the number of young American men I am with at the moment who reference him all the time. Great Waits.

Nice lines. Still waiting for Friday here!

Rachel Fox said...

I think I kept away from Bukowski partly because, having lived a bit of a barfly lifestyle myself for a while, it felt like such a cliche to read him. I was always a bit scared of cliche really... but I have to say that I get less bothered about such things as the years go by! Arse to it really - we likes what we likes.

x

Marion McCready said...

all the best for the great get-away, I'm quite in awe!

Rachel Fox said...

You're in awe... I'm insane, inadequate and inarticulate... or I feel like all those today anyway! All the fiddly bits to do this week.
x

Jean said...

Wishing you all a great adventure. The fiddly bits will soon be all done and then... the freedom of the road.

Rachel Fox said...

Yes, we're very lucky. Let's hope they're all happy adventures!
x

Domestic Oub said...

Am completely jealous, a six month adventure :) Though, how do the school feel about you taking your daughter out for half the school year? Is it a prob?

Rachel Fox said...

I spoke to the head before we arranged anything and she was fine with it. We will be making sure daughter remembers what maths is and boring her stiff with endless educational information of course. so she'll probably be glad to get back to her teachers. Most of all she's glad to be missing sports day in the summer (not one for PE!).
She'll be back in time for her last year of primary school (which she doesn't want to miss) so it seemed a good time to go. I am a bit tense about the whole thing but I know that will vanish the minute we step onto the other continent!

x

Totalfeckineejit said...

A tired old inner tube? Yes, that's it exactly!

Rachel Fox said...

Anyone seen the puncture repair kit?
x

Domestic Oub said...

You know, your daughter will learn more from a fabulous trip than smelly old school :)