Friday 21 January 2011

Nilsson had a point...

The guests at our folk club this week were Mollie O'Brien and Rich Moore from the USA. I'd never heard of them before (though I had heard of Mollie's fairly famous brother ... bluegrass/country star Tim O'Brien) but this duo were over for the Glasgow Celtic Connections music festival and had taken a quick trip up to Montrose on a day off. They put on a great show up here and we liked them very much (Mollie is a great singer - hear her here) so we bought their latest CD "Saints and Sinners". It looks like this



and it features songs by many different songwriters (Richard Thompson, Dave van Ronk, Tom Waits & Kathleen Brennan, George Harrison, Rodgers & Hart, David Francey... a real variety show).

One of the songs in their current repertoire that I'd never come across before was "Think about your Troubles" by Harry Nilsson (1941-1994, also known just as Nilsson... famous for all sorts of things... "Without You"... being pals with the Beatles...). The song was part of the soundtrack to a 1971 animated film called "The Point!" (apparently) that was created by Nilsson with animation director Fred Wolf. I'd never heard of the animated film either (had you?) but it's about a boy with a round head in a land where everything (and everyone) is pointed. This is the bit with the Troubles song:






It's OK but having heard Mollie's version first (and loved it) of course I almost prefer hers. Anyway, hope you enjoyed it - back to packing and sorting for me...

x

8 comments:

Totalfeckineejit said...

Ok, it's kinda early (for me) but I read it as 'Nelson had a pint'

Rachel Fox said...

Ha! Just the one...
x

Totalfeckineejit said...

The film/song is a charming circle, I likes!
Don't forget your toothbrush!

John Baker said...

Thanks for the Nilsson. I had never heard it before. Great way to start the day.

Niamh B said...

packing's funny isn't it?
to start with I'm just bringing what I absolutely need for the first couple of weeks, but it makes you question all the other absolute junk that clutters your world doesn't it? or does it..
Anyways...

Rachel Fox said...

I'm a pretty minimal person... not really into clothes or toiletries or nick-nacks or anything. I suppose I have a few books (and cds!) but I'm not taking many of them with me (couple of books, no cds). I'm looking forward to hearing and reading some new stuff on the road... (and not 'On the Road'!).

I'm not really doing that much packing. Packing is code here for 'trying not to panic about the flight'. Deep breaths. Deep breaths. My birthday this weekend too which I could SO do without. First one without Mum too.

x

Niamh B said...

Sounds like a tough weekend ahead then. Hope it all goes as well as possible, flight included. It'll be so worth it when you get to the other side!
xx

Rachel Fox said...

Yes, I don't quite kiss the ground when I get off... but it comes close!
x