Wednesday 3 March 2010

A (bilingual) song for March

The other day I found myself in an Art Garfunkel kind of a mood and so I put on the CD 'Breakaway' (1975) that I bought back in 1999/2000 when I was pregnant and 'I only have eyes for you' was one of the songs I suddenly couldn't get out of my head (odd things happen when you're pregnant and some of them are musical). 'Breakaway' has the version of 'I only have eyes...' that I seem to remember from childhood and I have a real soft spot for Garfunkel all round – he's been fairly overshadowed by little Simon but in many ways I shouldn't think he minds. I heard him interviewed on BBC radio once and he's one of those people who likes to just disappear off and walk for weeks at a time. A man after our own heart, eh walkers?

Garfunkel definitely got a mention in my favourite singers post (way back here) and here he is now singing another song that's on 'Breakaway' and that seems appropriate for right now:





Of course this song was originally in Portuguese and was written by the giant of Brazilian music that was Antônio Carlos (or Tom) Jobim (1927-94). There's some great back story about the song here and there are various versions of the original online. Here's one by Elis Regina and Jobim:





Back soon with more music I suspect.
x

17 comments:

Marion McCready said...

I love S&G, never really listened to Art all by himself, a future cd to pick up sometime...

The Solitary Walker said...

Always been more of a Paul Simon man, myself, as I think his songs are much stronger. Art's a little too fey at times for me.

Rachel Fox said...

Go and have a read of the wiki page for solo Art, Sorlil. He's had a very varied career.

I know what you mean about the fey SW and I couldn't listen to him all the time but I do like to listen to him now and again. I thought as a fellow walked you might like that side of his life at least! I am a big Paul Simon fan too...both solo and with Art G. I like them both...so different and also worked so well together.

x

Rachel Fox said...

That should have been 'walker' not 'walked'...obviously! At least it wasn't one of the other letters I typed wrong...
x

The Solitary Walker said...

Yes, I heard him talk on the radio once about his compulsion to set off on long walks all by himself. Perhaps I'll meet up with him one day?

Rachel Fox said...

I guess he'd be easy to spot...big hair and...bright eyes? I hated 'Bright Eyes' when it was number 1 back in 1979 in fact. It felt like it was number 1 forever...

x

Eryl said...

You really know your music don't you? It's terribly impressive how you are able to put your hands on all the links in the chain. I don't know anything to this degree at all. Really like the version in the bottom clip.

Rachel Fox said...

Well the internet helps with looking up details! But I was a DJ for a while and I worked in a record shop so I do have that kind of mentality with music (a bit). However I am nowhere near proper anorak status! Plus there are whole areas of music where I know nothing (punk, opera, classical, most jazz).

x

martine said...

thanks so much for sharing those, I really enjoyed them both, they looked to be having such a great time together there:-)
martine

Rachel Fox said...

It is a great video isn't it? I only pick up a few words here and there (portuguese not one of my languages..) but the sounds they make are just so irresistible that I really don't care what the words are. I've been listening to more Brazilian singing this teatime...so enjoyable!
x

Titus said...

I always preferred Garfunkel's voice to Simon's.
And as per Eryl for me, Turntable Queen!

Rachel Fox said...

Just don't ask me any questions about literature...especially English poetry before the mid 19th century! I think I'd do better if I heard it read...trying to read it on the page often results in me drifting off to think about something else. Like music...or food...or anything really.
x

Dick said...

Unfamiliar with both and delighted to make their acquaintance. Thanks, Rachel.

Rachel Fox said...

Payback for the Jonsi & Alex perhaps, Dick.
x

undeleted said...

What a lovely song! I'm going to have to be a bossa bore and say that I prefer the Tom Jobim and Elis Regina version though.

Another good one about water is Agua de Beber. Just about everyone in the world has done it but I really like the two takes by Sergio Mendes and Astrud Gilberto. And Sinatra did a great version of it too.

Suddenly feel very thirsty .. x

Rachel Fox said...

No, I would agree...the second version (the original) is magnificent! But Art does OK.
x

A Cuban In London said...

This is the faster version of 'Aguas de Marco'. This is the one I have at home. I much prefer the slower version and there's a clip on youtube with both Tom and Elis performing it. I chose it for my profile. Thanks for these two pressies. :-)

Greetings from London.