Monday 2 March 2009

The morning after

These days getting to bed any later than 11pm feels like a late night...and that is just so weird for someone who used to work in nightclubs, I can tell you. I can't believe I am the same person who sometimes used to leave the house for work/a night out at 11pm (and not come back for days...). How times have changed! Last night I got home at about half past midnight and now I'm very, very tired (and very, very hungry). It's pathetic really.

Still, a great night it was. Our bit went well (sorry, Hope, nothing recorded this time...Mark took little 'un to the pictures) and we sang our songs unaccompanied and without mistakes. I think we even enjoyed it. Verona sang a little song of her own called 'Treading Water' and that one is lovely so I will try and get a recording of that on here some time soon. I got good reactions to and comments about poems which is always SO appreciated (you don't want to expect it but it's lovely when it happens!). I sold some books too and even got a lovely email this morning from a charming (and satisfied) customer/reader. That's the kind of email a person likes to receive! I'd been unsure about reading my poem about Michael Marra (as he is a bit of a somewhat reluctant local hero in Dundee and I'm anything but local...) but it went really well and I could feel the love (for Marra) just flooding the room! That was a relief. A huge relief.

I'm not going to write about every part of last night's Out of the Woods show (some I may come back and write about another time) but one of the highlights of the night was definitely Dundee's own Pauline Hynd (or Pauline M as she used to be known...and her myspace doesn't really give you an idea of her range or, of course, how she comes over live). Pauline was better than ever and if she keeps on getting better like this she'll just explode with marvellousness one day! She really is a one-off kind of talent, so unpredictable and kind of casual with it. She did a whole range of songs from wandering and thoughtful, to catchy and huge-quirky-hit-potential, to very, very funny. The latter song was called 'Open the door, Rachel' (nothing to do with me!) and contained a lot of Dundee dialect...real class and beautifully played and judged. She uses language in such interesting ways, makes great observations, times things to perfection – if there is an X Factor for writing and performing...that woman's got it for sure!

I also enjoyed seeing the Dundee Rep Women's singing group Loadsaweeminsingin for the first time. A huge choir of women, the group were a joy to experience – so joyful, so obviously all having a great time and singing from their hearts and boots (or stilletos). Their set contained a lovely choice of songs too – covering all the moods. That's very much something I try to do in performance...get to the highest highs, the lowest lows...and everything in between.

Anyway...I think I need to go and lie down in a dark room but I'll be back in a wee while to write about some poets I'm reading just now. That sounds a bit Scottish, eh?

x

19 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

Congratulations on a successful event! It sounds as if you made a splash and folk appreciated you (the way they should). How very generous of you (and like you) to shine the light on those who surround you. You're far too self-effacing.
I only wish I could have been there in the audience, cheering for you.

The "Loadsaweeminsingin" sounds wonderful. I've been watching Gareth Malone's "The Choir" series and am just itching to join one myself.

I'll check out your links now. Do tell, what does a hungry poet eat after the big night?

Kat

Rachel Fox said...

Oh Kat you're such a sweetheart! I'm not sure I am self-effacing! We were not in any sense the main draw last night...I was just the compere and did some other bits and pieces. Good to be part of it though.

I ate (a) 2 pieces of cold mushroom pizza in the car on the way home (leftover from my tea out - I'm not proud and I knew I would be hungry so I asked for it to takeaway), (b) a jam doughnut when I got home later and then this morning toast, banana, a cadbury's creme egg (before noon - shocking!), crisps and then a pie for lunch! Not exactly the healthy touch today...or the Atkins! I'll eat healthy tomorrow...
x

Kat Mortensen said...

I started yesterday morning at 8:00 with a dark-chocolate covered almond and then had cranberry-foccacia/french toast with maple syrup, so I'm no better. Good planning with the pizza.
I'm really glad you had a good night.

Kat

Rachel Fox said...

Yum yum! Re planning - it's my third time appearing at that club (plus I've been a few times to see others) so I know there's nowhere open on the way home for chips! And it's quite a long way home...
x

Rachel Fox said...

And I should add...it's not just any pizza! From Visocchis in Broughty Ferry, Dundee. Lovely food - hot or cold.
x

The Weaver of Grass said...

Glad it was all such a success, Rachel - know what you mean about late nights - here on the farm we are such creatures of habit than anything after ten thirty feels like the middle of the night.

Rachel Fox said...

Well if we ever have a blog party, Weaver, it had better be a lunch party!
x

Unknown said...

Sounds like you all had a great night. You sound quite exuberant today, so well done on your part. Glad to hear you shifted books, and that you had some feedback already - keep it up :)))

I love the sound of that name: Loadsawimminsinging... I bet they were good!

Rachel Fox said...

Yes, I'm always exuberant after getting through a singing gig (and if the poems side goes well then even better)! I'm not someone who's sung regularly or anything so it is a real new area for me. Luckily Verona is a natural with singing so I can trust her to lead me the right way!

And yes the 'weemin' are great. A load of women having a great time and looking like they're having a ball while they're at it.

x

hope said...

Glad you had so much fun! And I think it's great that your Beloved had a date with Small Girl, therefore excuse graciously accepted with a large grin.

On one hand I'm proud to say I know you, on the other....damn woman but you're making me hungry! And Kat had to go and mention chocolate. Sigh.

Rachel Fox said...

Yes she got a surprise trip to 'Hotel for Dogs'. She loved every second of it apparently!
And I bet it sounds great when you say 'damn woman'. Very different to if I said it!
x

Dominic Rivron said...

Sounds like a wonderful event. Odd how one looses the ability to make whoopee into the early hours as one gets older...

Rachel Fox said...

Always being woken up early in the morning by children and/or dogs doesn't help!
x

Ken Armstrong said...

Damn woman!

Sounds like a good night.

How'd *I* do? :)

Rachel Fox said...

But I've heard your voice on your blog, Ken, so I know how you sound. Hope I can only imagine...What are we talking Hope...'Steel Magnolias' or what?
x

Dave King said...

Sounds like a night as nights should be. Don't worry about what time you get to bed. Never mind the feeling, feel the pull. Well done.

hope said...

I've lived basically my whole life in the same area and people still say to me,"So, where were you from before you moved here?"

Sigh. I talk faster than your average southerner.

I have a southern accent but it was homogenized by the advent of t.v. and military friends from all over. However when I get tired "five" and "nine" come out r-e-a-l southern. ;)

Marion McCready said...

Sounds like a complete success, I still think you're very brave doing all that!

Rachel Fox said...

Yes, I'm brave in that arena...but you should see me in an airport departure lounge...or in a motorway traffic jam...or in a crowded shopping centre. Yuck.
x