Monday 23 November 2009

Monday nonsense?

Hope had this over at hers last week and it looked fun so I thought I'd try it. Fun? Fun, you say? Well, yes, it seems to have been poetry, poetry, poetry on here of late (when did I get so obsessive, really!) and I felt like a change.

So all you have to do is look at the 10 statements below and work out which is the deliberate lie. There's no prize...well, hang on...maybe there will be a prize (depends how many of you get it right). Let's just hope you do better than I did at Hope's (I got the rules back to front...I mean...the embarrassment). Here we go:


1. My Mum was born and brought up in Scotland so even though I don't feel very Scottish (especially now I live here) you probably could say that I am at least a tiny bit non-English.

2. I loved the high jump at school - my favourite bit of P.E.

3. Though I don't drive very much now I passed my driving test first time.

4. I do know the way to San José.

5. I was once an extra in an episode of the TV soap opera 'Emmerdale'.

6. I have worked as a tour guide in Moscow.

7. I cannot understand the appeal of prawns (as a foodstuff).

8. I was a member of the Fonzie Fan Club ('School of Coolmanship') when I was about ten.

9. Despite much online evidence to the contrary I do in fact have an honours degree (of my own) from one of those rich and famous English universities with all the pretty buildings (no, not Essex...).

10. I once read a Pablo Neruda poem to a room full of inmates in a men's prison in Cáceres (Spain).

So, let's hear your guesses (educated or otherwise). Or maybe you just couldn't care less. In which case - fair enough.

x

26 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

I'm going to go with #3. The rest (although some seem a bit unlikely), I believe you could have done. I particularly can see you as an extra on "Emmerdale".
I think you may have mentioned that you don't like to drive, so I figure your test may not have gone well.
We shall see.

I think I might do this too.

Kat Mortensen said...

P.S. I'll give you a shout out if I post my ten.

Rachel Fox said...

Obviously I can't give anything away until all entries are in.

But hi.

x

Alan Burnett said...

Just found my way here from Poetikat's site. My first visit and therefore I know nothing about you and this has to be an absolute guess. So it is a scientific test of the accuracy of guessing in the absence of any evidence. That said I am going for (4). Whether or not I am right I can recognise a quality blog when I see one. So, I'll be back.

Rachel Fox said...

Hello friend of Kat.
Yes, maybe this isn't the best post to meet me on!
See you in the archives perhaps...
x

The Weaver of Grass said...

Well, Rachel, I have met you and I did think that might help but it didn't! They all sound pretty feasible to me, so I will say that really you absolutely adore prawns - fried, baked, saladed (is there such a word?) cocktailed and even sitting on the sea bed.

Rachel Fox said...

Is the prawn a red herring?
No clues from me.
x

Titus said...

Swithering between 5 and 6. Hmmm.

Going with the unlikely apparition of you in Red Square, so that's the odd one out. You were never a tour guide in Moscow. Pravda!

Totalfeckineejit said...

The first one is a lie.If there a prize,I'll take it now!

Rachel Fox said...

Interesting...everyone's going for a different one...
x

Kat Mortensen said...

Step aside TFE, the prize is MINE!
(Thought I'd rustle up a little friendly competition.)

Susan at Stony River said...

I laughed out loud at #4... and will go for #2 as the odd man out. No reason why really, aside from a personal aversion to sport LOL.

You're right; these ARE fun!

The Solitary Walker said...

I really have no idea, but I'm going for the Emmerdale one - it sounds just like the sort of thing one would make up if doing this kind of game. (Apologies if in a previous post you described at length your involvement in the soap-extra scene - I just happened to miss it, probably out on the Camino at the time.)

Marion McCready said...

5 for sure!

Niamh B said...

If ONLY one of those is a lie - you've had a very exciting life. My guess is no 8 - no reason.

Liz said...

Agree with Niamh, all sound pretty exciting...think I'll opt for the Moscow one not being true but then again could also be the plain and simple love of the high jump at school...so on second thoughts will go for the high jump one... ; )

hope said...

I'm going with #1, only because for some reason I thought Mum was an Englishwoman and a Quaker. :)

Totalfeckineejit said...

Excuse me Rachel but, 'Hey Kat ! You startin' sumptin? You lookin at me ? Well?'

Kat Mortensen said...

Eeejit, it is SO on!

Jim Murdoch said...

I'll go for 'Moscow' too.

Andrea said...

I have been enjoying your poem posts! I'm going to go with number eight - I also have to admit that Emmerdale is my not so guilty soap opera watch!

Dave King said...

Numero 7 - definitely!

Rachel Fox said...

I won't leave it hanging too long...I'll stick the answer up later on today.
x

Hugh McMillan said...

you didn't pass your driving test first time.

this is fun. I think I'll have a go.

Rachel Fox said...

Oh yes I did!
Answers now posted.
x

Rachel Fox said...

p.s. I've always been good at exams...it's what comes after (putting it into practice) that I struggle with!
x